Saturday, February 12, 2022

Watching paint dry, or the wait for a PCB to complete fabrication over a weekend in China

STUCK AT 7%, WORKING ON INNER LAYER TRACES

It is the weekend in China, thus no progress has occurred for the last 24 hours. We are still at step 1, etching the inner layers. These are the ground plane and a mixed power and signal layer. By tomorrow evening it should be the start of the workday on Monday over there and I should see the board progress through steps on its way to packing and shipping out. 

ALMOST EVERY PART HAS ARRIVED

I have the mini-ATX power supply, the connectors for USB and signal, and almost all the resistors, transistors, capacitors, headers and terminals necessary to build the board when it arrives. I am short three small capacitors, which I probably have in my parts bins at the shop anyway. 

As well, the case arrived today. I can mark out the locations for the holes for the standoffs to mount the PCB, the holes to mount power supplies and external connectors. The other work I need to do is to get into the small board housing the four LEDs, as I need direct connections to them without any of the circuitry already on the small board. 

There are a few complicated cuts I have to make in the steel chassis to mount the external connectors, plus some straightforward drilling or cutting operations. I likely will have to bring this to the local MakerSpace where I am a member, to make use of their metal working tools. 

No comments:

Post a Comment