Sunday, February 6, 2022

I like KiCAD very much; great experience switching over and building my 1130 extender box PCB

LEARNING CURVE EASED BY VERY INTUITIVE AND LOGICAL SOFTWARE

I was surprised by how quickly I was able to pick up the proper commands and tools to accomplish everything I wanted. Instead of the days of google searches and stumbling around that I anticipated, the process was smooth and rapid.

TEXT BASED FILES PERMIT PROGRAMMATIC ALTERATIONS TO SPEED CHANGES

I was delighted to discover that KiCAD stores the schematics and other files in plain text, allowing me to make bulk changes. For example, almost 100 terminals are in the design but the KiCAD standard library didn't have the proper layout to place these on the circuit board. 

After I designed the layout for the screw terminal part I ordered, I had to switch all the terminals in the schematic. Using the GUI, it takes multiple clicks and mouse movements to change on terminal to the new layout. Modifying the text file allowed me to switch all of them in just a couple of minutes.  

SCHEMATIC COMPLETED, LAYOUTS CREATED FOR PARTS, BEGINNING PLACEMENT

I have finished the schematic completely, with all the missing parts layouts built, I was ready to transfer the schematic over to the PCB layout tool. I set up the board as 13.5" x 9", able to fit in the 14 3/8 x 9 1/2" section of the case I bought. 

The first parts I put in place were the header rails for the FPGA board, so that it can be plugged in when the PCB is finished. I then installed the ATX power supply connect and another connector for the 24VAC that the 1130 furnishes to sequence power on all the attached boxes. Finally I put on the linear voltage regulator that will convert the 5V from the PC power supply down to 3.0V since that is the high rail for SLT (Solid Logic Technology) systems like the 1130 and the S/360. 

No comments:

Post a Comment