Sunday, April 10, 2022

Second 1130 system arrives, to be restored and returned to its museum

IBM 1130 SYSTEM NEEDING RESTORATION FOR MUSEUM

A museum from the northeast has an IBM 1130 system they acquired that needs restoration, since they want to show it running. I offered to do this in my workshop where I have all the tools, space, parts, manuals and even a second system for comparisons. 

SIDE BY SIDE WITH MY RUNNING 1130 SYSTEM, READY TO START WORK

It was delivered today and rolled into place near my working system and close to where I have the 240V power outlet. I will lay out the ALDs (Automated Logic Diagrams) and other manuals that will be important for this process, using a spare 6 foot folding table. 

FIRST STEPS IN THE RESTORATION

Before I begin debugging any of the logic itself, I think it very important to verify all the power supplies and sequencing logic. Severe overvoltage or incorrect sequence of connecting power can damage the components inside the machine. 

The minus-1 step is to wire up the machine for the voltage levels in my shop. An 1130 can be set up for 120, 240 or 208 volt operation, generally involving moving wires on terminal blocks to choose the primary windings of power transformers. There are quite a few scattered through the machine.

No comments:

Post a Comment