Saturday, October 5, 2024

Console printer set in place on the 1130 - found I need to adjust the pushbuttons

COVER AND FACEPLATE INSTALLED ON THE 1053

I scraped away some degraded sound insulation inside the cover before putting it back on. The printer was easy (but cumbersome) to slide onto place atop the 1130. Tilting it up allowed the faceplate to be fastened, then the tab set/clear rod had to be attached to the faceplate lever to wrap things up.

I did some more testing of the typing. I had found something that was contributing to sporadic failure to fully stop at the left margin; it was adjusted and CR seems quite reliable now. I also worked on the index (line feed) operation which had been sporadically doing a double feed or not feeding fully. This seemed to be some residual stale lubricant, so I flushed and reoiled this part of the machine. Behavior much better. 

FRONT PUSHBUTTONS DON'T WORK

However, when I pushed the three plastic buttons on the faceplate - Tab, Space and Return - they did not actuate the button mechanisms on the typewriter. They didn't move those far enough. I can adjust the parts on the typewriter outward to fix this, but I will have to remove the tab set/clear rod and faceplate temporarily.

This exposes a hole in the maintenance documentation. The 1053 maintenance manual covers most adjustments for the various flavors of the I/O Selectric including the printer only models like this, but does not discuss the faceplate which is unique to the 1130. The 1130 maintenance manuals say nothing about the adjustment procedures to make the plastic pushbuttons work properly. 

No comments:

Post a Comment