Saturday, March 9, 2024

Nye Clock Oil - accept no substitutes!

I HAVE BEEN A PASSIONATE ADVOCATE FOR THE USE OF NYE CLOCK OIL

I have found this extremely light oil to be superbly able to free up gummed mechanisms, as it seems to both dissolve the old sticky lubricants and more importantly to flow in the space between the metal parts and the solidified lubricant, thus allowing them to move and break apart the gunk.

My last bottle of the oil was running out, thus it was time to buy more. The major retailers don't carry it, only some watch/clock oriented sites that I don't normally do business with. I checked on Amazon and indeed they don't have anyone selling Nye oils, but they did offer a number of clock oils.

I chose the product that described itself as a very fine light oil and put it on the shelf. When the Nye oil ran out, I opened the new product. Wow, what a difference. The Nye oil is so light that when you put it on your finger, the sheen and film depth is almost the same as regular finger oil, that is if you touch paper there isn't much if any oil transferred. The oil itself is a very light yellow color and flows very easily. You can release very tiny blobs of oil.

The new oil was a much thicker and greyer color. It came out in bigger blobs and immediately my hands and the bottom felt wet and greasy. It didn't flow the same on the typewriter at all. It seemed like this would flow around the outside of a joint instead of wicking inside like the Nye oil did.

Not a suitable substitute

The new bottle of substandard oil went into the trash. I hunted down a clock repair site that would see small batches - 2 ounce bottles in this case - and placed my order. The real thing arrived and is back on my workbench ready to work on future mechanisms. 



No comments:

Post a Comment