Wednesday, March 20, 2024

Now we wait for this system to be picked up and the next restoration 1130 to arrive

PREPARED GUIDE FOR OWNER

I created a guide for the owner with the information they need to keep with the machine. It describes all the repairs I made to the system, the modifications installed and some important operating procedures such as loading the console printer paper properly and opening the various machine covers. 

FINISHED SETUP OF MACHINE FOR SHIPPING

I restrained the disk drive arm so that it won't move in and out. I also put a punched card between the disk heads to protect them. Some covers were restrained to the extent I could do that without damaging the paint. 

READY FOR THE NEXT SYSTEM TO RESTORE

The owner of this machine is also holding the next restoration target, an IBM 1130 for a different owner. When the truck comes to pick up this system, it will roll in the new restoration challenge and I can begin. 

3 comments:

  1. Hi Carl. Thank you for fixin' this system! Will this 1130 be usable? I know it works, but since it lacks peripherals, is it just a show piece?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bob. When I finish the virtual disk cartridge facility I am working on, I can install it on the system. It does have the interface for a 1442 card reader which at some future date could be connected to it.

      In the meantime, it does have the keyboard and console printer. Via the console loader function I added, various programs can be loaded into core and then run as long as they only need the 1053 and keyboard (or maybe just the console entry switches I guess).

      I forsee loading some kind of interactive game that communicates with the operator via the typewriter and keyboard - a neat demonstration even without line printer and card reader.

      Delete