Thursday, August 27, 2020

Building the MVS version to support BSC links to my 3174 using SyncDongle - second time is the charm

 INVESTIGATION OF THE USER CATALOG ISSUE

Once I looked closely at the issue, the problem was pretty simple. Somehow I had been interrupted yesterday and had to reIPL the mvs image. The configuration file didn't mount the four new disk packs onto which we were doing the sysgen, one of which held the user catalog in question.

EASY FIX AND THEN COMPLETING THE SYSGEN

A quick modification of the configuration file, a restart of Hercules and an IPL allowed me to start the sysgen jobstream. All ran successfully, a few hours of submitting jobs, checking completion codes and saving the 'printout' files for later review. 

There was a minor roadblock, so typical of the intrusive Windows environment, where I had to fight to get netcat (a utility that takes pipelined input and writes it out on a TCP/IP socket, thus used to copy files to a network address). Both Google Chrome and Norton Antivirus seemed intent to block every attempt to download and use this tool, because some have used it for hacking. Guilt by association.

NMAP had a version (ncat.exe) that I could download without the gestapo marching in to remove it, then a simple rename to nc.exe and a modification of Jay's submit.bat file to remove options (-w1) that make no sense to this netcat program, and I could continue adding languages, third party programs and other enhancements. 

I ended up with a customized MVS 3.8J system that was ready for me to apply a few modifications to support the BSC (binary synchronous communications) protocol link over TCP/IP. 

No comments:

Post a Comment