Wednesday, August 26, 2020

Building a Hercules version known to work with BSC and the SyncDongle

 WHY NOT JUST USE THE SOFTDEVLAB VERSION OF HERCULES

Mattis Lind, who created the SyncDongle and has tested it with Hercules, has found reliability issues trying to get the SoftDevLab Hyperion version of Hercules to work. The BSC support in that version appears suited for batch remote job entry devices (remote card readers and printers) but less so for terminal connections using BSC.

I therefore believe it better to have a second version of Hercules for the BSC tests, one known to work well with Mattis' solution. I have set up my laptop so that I can swap Hercules versions between the original distribution, SoftDevLab and Spinhawk

FINDING, DOWNLOADING AND TESTING SPINHAWK AS RECOMMENDED BY MATTIS

I did locate and download the code, then successfully built the 64 bit version which I can use with my BSC system. That was exactly as expected, a very pleasant change from my early experience fighting the MS development environment.


No comments:

Post a Comment