Monday, August 17, 2020

Keyboard arrives and my 3179 color terminal is working!

 EBAY KEYBOARD ARRIVES TODAY, GETS PLUGGED IN, AND TERMINAL WORKS

A fellow hobbyist, Guy Sotomayor, gave me the product number of a keyboard that he successfully uses with his 3179 terminals. I found one on eBay and it arrived today. It was in good condition and ready to be hooked up. I plugged the round DIN connector into the logic element and powered on my terminal.

Without the keyboard, the terminal would stop partway through initialization and give an error 3 that indicated the keyboard was not working. With this connected it sailed through startup and went into test mode. It is still pretty dim, a bit brighter than the first one I bought, but I can see the image (barely) even in sunlight. 

DOING ONLINE TESTS WITH THIS HOOKED TO MY 3174 CONTROLLER

I routed a cable between my 3174 controller and the terminal, then IMLed the controller. It saw the terminal just fine and I was able to hit the ALT-TEST key combination to start up the online tests, then using the PA2 key I saw the main menu light up. Finally, I requested test 0, which puts some test text on the screen to allow basic functional verification. All is good!

No comments:

Post a Comment