Tuesday, August 11, 2020

Terminal monitor electrical inspection and repair work

 3178 WITH MISSING CAP, NO VERTICAL DEFLECTION

I originally received three 3178 terminals, each with its monitor, keyboard and logic element. Number one is in service now with a decent brightness, number two is quite dim but works and the third had no vertical deflection. In that last monitor I found an electrolytic capacitor that had committed suicide and part of the PCB trace connected to it was damaged.

I bought a replacement capacitor and opened the monitor to make the repair. I used jumper wire to bridge the bad traces. The reason I am doing this is because the trace is acceptably bright, unlike the very dim terminal number two that is otherwise functional. I had a good monitor PCB to compare to be sure I repaired the burned trace properly.

Reference board
Board with damaged trace

I installed the new capacitor and a bridge wire to restore continuity for the circuit. 

Repair made

I then fired up the monitor to compare it to terminal One that works well. The good news is that I restored the vertical deflection. However, the image looks terrible. I suspect that I have to adjust focus and do a bit of cleaning in the hope that this will sharpen up acceptably.


Monitor with replaced cap and repair
Good monitor for reference

Will download the manual for adjustments and see whether I can get a decent image or this terminal goes on the recycle list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment