Sunday, September 29, 2024

Ran CPU and 1132 printer diagnostics; built another loader to install on SSM machine

LOADED CPU DIAGNOSTICS AGAIN AND RAN IT

It flew right through them and ended with the wait instruction, SBR with 3003 displayed, which means that it ran completely successfully.

LOADED 1132 DIAGNOSTICS, HOOKED UP PRINTER, AND TESTED

The only issue I expected to impact my testing of the 1132 is that I can't find my carriage control tapes, nor the punch that puts holes in them. The tests expect a certain pattern of channel punches on the tape as it tests the machines functionality. However, it can work fine without the tape, I think, which the printer will interpret as a tape with all holes punched on every line. 

I cabled up the printer again and loaded a box of paper since the testing will chew through a number of pages. With everything ready, I loaded the diagnostic program and began testing.

1132 DIAGNOSTIC TEST ISSUE

The diagnostic program kept stopping with errors indicating that the console printer (typewriter) was busy too long, which is because the printer is not installed yet. I tried for about an hour to patch around it but the diagnostic monitor that hosts the diagnostic insists on documenting actions on the printer. 

BUILT ANOTHER CYCLE STEAL/DMA LOADER - TO INSTALL ON THE SSM 1130

I broke out the soldering station and put together a second loader. I brought an Arduino Mega home to load the firmware, so that when I get back to the shop I can modify the microcontroller for use in the 1130. I remove the pass transistor that allows the USB to power the board, forcing it to only power on with the IBM 1130 itself. I also install a capacitor on the reset line so that a new serial connection over USB will NOT restart the Arduino firmware, which starts once at power up. 

No comments:

Post a Comment