Monday, September 30, 2024

Diagnostic monitor requires console printer; pivoting to restoration of the 1052

STUDYING THE DIAGNOSTIC MONITOR TO LEARN I MUST GET TYPEWRITER WORKING

Many of the diagnostics for the 1130 system are designed to run under the Diagnostic Monitor II program, which provides services such as interrupt handlers, console printer and keyboard interface and run controls. The monitor is loaded first, then one or multiple diagnostics are loaded by the monitor before they are run. 

The design of the monitor produces typed output when a test starts, when it ends, and as errors are uncovered. It also emits output when options are changed via the console entry switches, or when the monitor restarts. There are some options to skip certain of the messages, such as startup of a diagnostic or errors, but others can't be blocked. 

Rather than rewriting the monitor, I will turn my attention to the console printer, because if I can get the restoration finished and the printer back on the machine, I can run the diagnostics I need to debug the rest of the peripherals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment